Wednesday 30 July 2008

Summer

Well with it being more than half way through the summer holidays already I thought it was about time I did a post. I seem to have hardly done anything this summer, I have been working a lot and have earned quite a lot of money which I suppose is the plus side of staying in York and not getting up to much.

The summer project is going OK, as always with a project I only really enjoy it once it is all coming together and I can see that I have made all the right decisons. At the moment I am still agonising as to whether I'm doing the right thing. I havn't really got anything to show yet it is all a bit of a work in progress. I have, however, been shooting a lot of film lately on my old SLR which I have been really enjoying. I basically learnt how to use a proper camera(SLR) shooting digital, now I know how to expose and compose a shot properly shooting film is a lot more satisfying. Here are some of the fruits of my labour:






I got my reading list which was quite exciting. I've read about half of 'How to be a graphic designer without loosing your soul' A lot of it is more relevant to someone who has graduated and is just starting out on there own as a graphic designer. I think it's a testement to how well written it is that I am still going strong half way through even though a lot of the book isn't relevant to me now. It has given an interesting insight into what it's like to be a graphic designer in the industry.


I also found this little beauty hiding in my dads office. The Penguin Book of Kites, Its full of brilliant modernist, very minimal illustrations. I really like its style, it was published in 1976 so to think it was all done long before computers is pretty cool.








To finnish off here are some of the designer/blogs/websites that I have been looking at recently:
Andy Chung
Leslie David
Jonathan Stuart

I always check Manystuff, they usually have a lot of interesting design work - Manystuff

I also came across this site that has load of shortcuts and tips for Illustrator, they are the kinds of things that are really useful to know, you can save so much time.
Adobe Illustrator Shortcuts

No comments: